Friday, November 14, 2008

Can't Help It

When it comes to yarn, sometimes I can't help myself. I was all set to destash, and had promised my overflowing closets and my bank account that I wouldn't buy any more yarn until I used more of what I already had. But then Elann had to go and have a great sale on the yarn suggested for this cardigan that I have been wanting to make ever since I saw the Fall Vogue Preview back in the summer. And in just the type of neutral with a little kick of color that I was hoping to find for it.

I figured since it was a full bag sale (10 skeins) and I would need 13 for the cardigan, that I should go ahead and get an additional 10 skeins so I would have enough yarn for two sweaters instead of being left with 7 orphaned skeins. Makes sense, right? And $20.50 for 10 skeins of this yarn is a great price. So I made the purchase and told myself again that I was done. Silly me.


Bran wanted to make a necklace for his teacher, so I was picking up some beads at Michaels this week, and I made my usual sweep of the yarn section. A number of yarns were on sale, but nothing outrageous, or so I thought. Then I spied the sign in front of the Patons SWS - 2 for $3! I did a double-take to make sure I was seeing it correctly, and then proceeded to look through the color options and place 12 skeins of black and 12 of natural plum into my cart.

I considered SWS for the Tilted Duster when the pattern first came out, but didn't want to shell out the $60 that it would have cost at the time. Now I have more than enough yarn for the sweater (I'll use the black), and it only cost $18! I also used SWS for a felted bowl last year, and it felted beautifully, so I can imagine making a few felted purses or bowls for gifts out of the natural plum if it doesn't end up in sweater form as well.

I am learning a program of cabaret songs right now, including "Falling in Love Again." When G makes fun of my weakness for yarn sales, I just smile and sing "I can't help it."

No comments: