Friday, February 22, 2008

My son's school has a fundraiser in April and parents are asked to donate arts and crafts to be sold by silent auction. Last year I donated a felted purse and a pet bed (which had started out as a felted purse). The purse sold for $25 and the pet bed for $10. I was happy that the pet bed sold at all, but I was a little disappointed that the purse only brought in $25 after the hours of work that I had put into it. So, for the auction this year, I wanted to make something unique that would be very quick to knit, and for which I could use yarn that I already had in my stash. I went to the local library for some ideas and came out with One Skein by Leigh Radford, which has a great pattern for felted bowls.

I cheated on the using yarn from my stash part of the deal since AC Moore was having a sale on Patons SWS, and I had been wanting to try it out for a while. Here is what I made from one skein of it.
DSC_0037.JPG
For my next bowl attempt I used one skein of variegated Patons Classic Merino from stash. I made the larger bowl first, and then started a new one where I had ended the last one. I like how the pattern of the yarn changed for the smaller size.
DSC_0055.JPG
I have a lot of feltable wool in my stash, so I plan to make a bunch of these for April's auction. I'm tempted to see if I could make a set of three nesting bowls, although I may not have enough yarn if I stick to stash.

No comments: