Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Happy No-Bloggingiversary

It has been almost a year since my last blog post. A lot has happened since then, and I have thought about trying to recount it all in one huge chunk of writing. But, the idea quickly became overwhelming, and when it comes down to it, I would rather fill my free time with new adventures rather than old ones. That said, there are large parts of the past year I would like to document, including the many knitting projects I crammed into it. So I hope to pull up some old bits as I discover the new.

The newest bit came unexpectedly. After seeing the Winter Knitty, I decided to make a Citron shawl for the silent auction at my son's school. Naturally I went straight to Ravelry and looked up all the already completed Citrons to get the low down and get inspired. While looking through, I noticed that some Ravelers had joined the 10 shawls in 2010 group, and something clicked in my head.

I had been looking for ways to budget my time, i.e. cut out the countless hours I spend on the internet looking at Ravelry and Facebook. At the beginning of 2010, I decided to do an experiment and seriously cut down my time on Facebook and Ravelry. The Facebook was easier than I expected, but the Ravelry part was more of a challenge. How can I pass up seeing the beautiful creations of so many super-talented people? So when I saw the shawl group, I thought that participating might help me to cut back my time on Ravelry, since I would only be actively searching for shawl patterns. Well, of course I have now spent countless hours on Ravelry looking at every shawl anyone ever made - the gorgeousness is addictive! But, I feel myself slowly going into the zone, spurred on by the challenge of knitting the 10, and also the desire to appreciate the life going on outside of the internet.

And yet here I am attempting to resume blogging. What can I say - life is complicated.

No comments: