Saturday, February 13, 2010

Undine

When I was once again hunting through Ravelry to find shawl patterns, I came across this one. It was written for a sock yarn, so I hoped it would be a good match for my single ball of Ty-Dy Socks in the Painted Desert colorway.
Undine Shawl 6
Even though the pattern is straightforward and easy to memorize, it helped me to calculate how many stitches I should have at the end of each chart, especially because the number of increased stitches is not the same in every row.

These are my totals:

Chart A - 43 stitches
Chart B - 259 stitches (4 increased in each repeat of row 13, and 8 in each repeat of row 15)
Chart C - 355 stitches (80 increased in first row, and 4 increased every rs row thereafter)
Chart D - 355 (no stitches increased)
Undine Shawl 2
I used size 8 needles for the bind-off, which left it nice and loose. I really stretched out the shawl when I blocked it, and I wondered if it would end up looking so holey that the pattern would be lost. Fortunately, I ended up liking it in the end. The striping of the colors in the Ty-Dy Socks worked out really well, and the combination of the colors and the drape of the shawl gives it a playful feel.
Undine Shawl
Now to decide what #4 is going to be! It will likely involve a grass green Zauberball. But first, I need to put my house back together after neglecting it for all of this shawl knitting!

No comments: