Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Saddle Shoulder for a Giant Five-Year-Old

After much neglected housework and a few episodes of Eli Stone on iTunes, I managed to knit the saddles after two tries. The first time I did too many saddle decreases, and it didn't fit over Bran's head. Now it fits over my head. I originally planned to allow the edges to roll, but after the saddles were done, I thought the sweater would look better with a more finished edging. So, inspired by EZ's picked up hem idea, I worked an additional inch and a half of stockinette, purled a row to turn, worked another inch and a half of stockinette, and then sewed it down. I picked up stitches for the bottom hem since I no longer had live stitches to work with. I haven't sewed it down yet because I would like to add a message using duplicate stitch.

As you can see, I majorly overestimated the ease for this sweater. It is huge on Bran, and even though I measured the sleeves on his arms as I worked them, they are way too long. I am thinking of folding them an inch and a half to the inside and sewing it down, so they would be shorter. But even if that looks okay, it still won't make them short enough. I could also cut and rework the sleeves to be shorter. But for now, I'll probably leave them as is, and cuff them until he grows into it.DSC_0023


























At least he says that he likes it. I even asked if he wanted me to knit him a smaller one and give this one to his cousin (who is 8), but he said that he wanted this one. My heart is filled with smiles. DSC_0018

No comments: